DSM Hangout
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD Empty 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Post  CaffeineTripp Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:08 pm

So, here's the 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. Picked this up about a year and a half ago.
I can't remember everything that's in it, but off of the top of my head...
S16G
550cc
DeJon Tool UICP
CXRacing aluminum radiator and slimline fans
2G MAS
MBC
DSMLink
KYB Shocks/Struts
Unknown springs
Orange painted calipers (WTF?!)
2G turbo manifold
AEM WBO2 gauge and sensor
HKS Type 1 turbo timer
2G heavy weight shift knob
ACT 2600 clutch with street disc
SS Clutch line
3" back exhaust, no cat
Greddy Type S BOV
No A/C
BSE Kit
Rebuilt motor at XXX,XXX (can't remember anymore, let alone what mileage it's at right now)
Tossed on some '99 Mustang GT wheels during the summer (looks a shit ton sexier than those bent to hell, shitilly painted OEs with Barum rubber)

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD DSMLeftSide3

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD GaugeCluster1

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD DSMRainFront2

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD NewTurboManifold1

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD DSMPolice1
One of my favorite pictures I've ever gotten.

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD Tinted2
Tinted rears. Also did the headlights (pop-ups so I can still see at night of course) and sidemarkers. Turned out quite well actually. Might need a coat of clear, but otherwise pretty damned smooth.

And yes, the paint on the manifold held up pretty well for a few months. Hasn't run since August though. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by CaffeineTripp on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:17 am; edited 2 times in total

CaffeineTripp

DSM Dedication. : 4887

Back to top Go down

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD Empty Re: 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Post  1gdsmftw Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:28 pm

what paint were you using on the mani aiden?
1gdsmftw
1gdsmftw
Admin

DSM Dedication. : 5061

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000464581236

Back to top Go down

Post  DSM_munky_man Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:39 am

Pretty sexy. I want a 1ga too, I want it to be my rally type car. use my 1gb for drag/street/roadcourse fun and then geta 2g for DD and for looking pretty.
DSM_munky_man
DSM_munky_man
Moocher

DSM Dedication. : 5033

Back to top Go down

Post  CaffeineTripp Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:36 am

The paint for the manifold was just that standard stuff you get at O'Reilly's/Auto Zone/Advance Auto. Wasn't really anything to it. Didn't even have an oven that could get to high enough temperature, so I just baked it for a bit longer. Turned out pretty well I think.

CaffeineTripp

Back to top Go down

Post  1gdsmftw Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:06 am

did u use vht ceramic coating? give that a shot and you know u can bake it on the car right? just run the car for 30 min and cut it off let it cool repeat 1 more time and its baked =]
1gdsmftw
1gdsmftw
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CaffeineTripp Wed May 18, 2011 7:02 am

Welp, she's back in action. After nine months of sitting and contemplating of what the problem could be (throwout bearing, TOB clip, clutch fork, bad clutch slave cylinder) turns out that the whole problem was due to one loose transmission bolt on the bottom half of the tranny. Wonderful.
In any case, she kind of looks like ass right now after sitting for so darn long; engine's dirty, outside's dirty, windshield got cracked somehow in the upper right hand corner (good thing I have full glass replacement).
She still needs a tune, and a few more miscellaneous parts, I'll be dropping the transmission anyway to toss in the new TOB, TOB clip, clutch fork, and pivot ball.
During it's downtime, I picked up some new KYB GR2 shocks and struts, new front axles, front sway bar links, and a few other items. Up to come is the Whiteline Rear Camber Kit an FP manifold, Evo 3 Big 16G, and a Punishment Racing FMIC Kit.

Might even swing out and get the Cobra BBK, or just 'suffer' with a 1GB 2 piston caliper swap on the front.

CaffeineTripp

Back to top Go down

Post  1gdsmftw Wed May 18, 2011 8:37 am

uk now that i look at it aiden...your tails arent tinted....or so they dont look like it....the talon tails are dark as it is!

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 73737_171782306180588_100000464581236_535353_3655481_n
1gdsmftw
1gdsmftw
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  marco Wed May 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Broken windshields suck, when I got mine I found a brand new one never installed in a junkyard for $50. About time you got it going again, I just hope it does not take me that long to figure out whats wrong with the Lincoln!
marco
marco

DSM Dedication. : 4911

Back to top Go down

Post  1gdsmftw Wed May 18, 2011 12:16 pm

marco it already has surpassed lol
1gdsmftw
1gdsmftw
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CaffeineTripp Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm

They're tinted. Wink Promise. Did it myself. Only a light coat, nothing too out of this world. Just enough to blend a tad better with the rest of the car.
Threw a CEL today, can't wait to get that figured out tomorrow. Hope that it's nothing too serious. I know that I've got a boost leak somewhere and maybe an ignition issue. Boost leak most likely though. I'll be doing a full fluid swap by next week. Get that new slave cylinder on as well. Maybe even pressure wash the engine bay and get rid of some of the caked on grease and oil.

CaffeineTripp

Back to top Go down

Post  marco Thu May 19, 2011 12:11 pm

1gdsmftw wrote:marco it already has surpassed lol

Question scratch

I hate the stupid check engine light! Makes me want to kill the car, plus I cannot figure out how to read the flashing light when it's giving you the codes!! lol!

And I remember when he tinted his lights, so it is true.
marco
marco

Back to top Go down

Post  CaffeineTripp Fri May 20, 2011 5:07 am

Speaking of CELs...Mine threw Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor and MAF (though the MAF could be something different entirely; boost leak, wiring (which was shoddily done by the PO), MAF itself, or numerous other things.
New ECT sensor will cost me 22 plus tax, so not all that bad. Also going to get a new WBO2 sensor as well. Don't how know good of condition the sensor is in after sitting for so long.

So much stuff to do, and so little time to do it in.

CaffeineTripp

Back to top Go down

Post  marco Fri May 20, 2011 11:52 am

What's the rush?

1gdsmftw wrote:marco it already has surpassed lol

I put 1300 miles on it, and now it acts up! lol!
marco
marco

Back to top Go down

Post  CaffeineTripp Fri May 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Nine months of driving around a Cavalier and an '86 Jeep Comanche Custom with no heat, bald tires, bad brakes, no radio, door doesn't shut all the way, and hole in the floor pan. It's just that more urgent that I get her up to perfect running standards.
That and I gotta "That car is so cool" from a cute girl at work. So that may be just another reason. Rolling Eyes lol

1,300 miles and it acts up? On the plus side, it's not a DSM. Mine acted up a few hours after I got it. Consider yourself lucky.

CaffeineTripp

Back to top Go down

Post  marco Sat May 21, 2011 12:11 pm

CaffeineTripp wrote:Nine months of driving around a Cavalier and an '86 Jeep Comanche Custom with no heat, bald tires, bad brakes, no radio, door doesn't shut all the way, and hole in the floor pan. It's just that more urgent that I get her up to perfect running standards.
That and I gotta "That car is so cool" from a cute girl at work. So that may be just another reason. Rolling Eyes lol

1,300 miles and it acts up? On the plus side, it's not a DSM. Mine acted up a few hours after I got it. Consider yourself lucky.

I can see why, and yes the Dsm's are sexy she has good taste in cars.

It's a ford I expect no less, but I think it's a coil pack which I will be ordering this weekend.
marco
marco

Back to top Go down

Post  CaffeineTripp Mon May 23, 2011 3:42 am

Figured out the overheating issue due to the fans not going off. ECU threw a code 21 for the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor/harness/connector. Replaced the sensor, to do it anyway, it was showing correct ohms, but looked quite cruddy and figure I should do it anyway. Turns out that the wiring on the yellow/green wire was corroded. Replaced 8" worth of it, as well as the black/green wire and the temp gauge's yellow/green wire, new quick connects, and I'm back to being able to drive it further than five miles.

CaffeineTripp

Back to top Go down

Post  marco Mon May 23, 2011 12:00 pm

Nice! Now IF I can get the money I am promised and find an AWD DSM you can help me along in fixing it, and Ben can help me find a cheap one!
marco
marco

Back to top Go down

Post  CaffeineTripp Tue May 24, 2011 3:20 pm

Ben's always good at finding cheap parts. (Though I did find a knock-off aluminum radiator for $70 + S&H Wink)
I lied when I said I figured out the problem. Apparently, it might not be the wire from the ECT sensor. Could just be the thermostat. After I put in some new wire for both wires (yellow/green and black/green) the fan went off, however, the engine was near the 'fan turn-on point,' at which the thermostat was most likely closed. And since the sensor is located on engine side of the coolant flow, I believe that it reads 'incorrectly' because of the thermostat not opening. I've gotta Beck/Arnley fail-safe thermostat showing up in the mail sometime soon. Going to do a complete flush of the system as well when I put it in.

CaffeineTripp

Back to top Go down

Post  marco Wed May 25, 2011 12:07 pm

I hate waiting on mail order parts! Last time Fed-ex could not find my house, so I call them give them directions and my cell number, next day the driver calls me asking how do I get to your house? scratch SO I tell him, he still really cannot figure it out! lol! I tell him to drop it off in town where all the mustangs are and I'll pick it up there! Now let's see what happens tomorrow with Fed-ex and my coil pack!

Hope the T-stat fixes it, I also hate ordering the wrong parts. I seem to have hate issues! Suspect
marco
marco

Back to top Go down

Post  CaffeineTripp Wed May 25, 2011 1:29 pm

She did pretty well today, but I constitute that for it being 40* outside. Cool air kept her running at a good operating temp. Once I got out of work the oil pressure gauge stopped working, but, as usual DSM fashion, it's most likely the wire to the sending unit (used a butt-end connector to fix it a while ago and I think that it's just coming loose). Tomorrow I'll nab out the soldering gun, yet again, and heat shrink the hell out of it.
LOL I noticed on one of the packages that I ordered there were directions on how to get to my house on it. Apparently, it's that difficult. So far I haven't received any calls about not knowing how to get here, thank god.

Oh, and WTF are these connectors? Tore into my center console the other day doing some spring cleaning, and found these, again, what the hell do they go to?

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD MiscellaneousConnector1
This connector has Red, Green, Blue, Black wires. Never mind the wire that's coming out of it, that's the power to my inverter.

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD MiscellaneousConnector2
And this one has Black, Green, Green/Black, Brown wires.
Both fit standard sized relays. The first connector used to have a plugged into it, but for some reason because of that relay, my car wouldn't start quite some time ago (when the car actually worked correctly!), unplugged it, and she started right up. No factory alarm came with the car, so I'm at quite a loss here as to what they go to. Chilton's wasn't helpful, nor was the factory service manual as to what they do.

CaffeineTripp

Back to top Go down

Post  marco Thu May 26, 2011 12:16 pm

I'd take a 40* day, it was 94 today according to the car! And next week will be in the 90's everyday! I got the package today, still cannot find the house so he drops it off in town where all the old mustangs are. Other then going off topic I cannot help. What a Face
marco
marco

Back to top Go down

Post  CaffeineTripp Sat May 28, 2011 1:39 am

No worries. DSMTalk hasn't been much help either. Whatever though, was more of a curiosity than anything. So, I got the thermostat and one of the sensors that I ordered the other day.
Went onto eBay and got myself a CXRacing radiator with two 12" slim fans. I might buy the shroud as well and have it looking all nice and clean. Might pick up some new radiator hoses as well. At least the upper. From what I can tell, it's circa 1990. Lookin' like ass too. lol Shipping looks like around, at the latest, the 6th of June. I'll be doing a complete flush on it. Pretty sure that the stock rad is plugged, besides being bowed and missing more fins than I care to say.
Also, I found these while searching some stuff on the interwebs. This is the wonderful thing about the 90...

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD ThermostatHousing1

This is how my thermostat housing is set up. However...

https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17474&cat=1315&page=1

https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17296&cat=1315&page=1

As you can see on the first page, the sensor listed there is the radiator fan switch, which is 'located' on the bottom part of the radiator. However, in the Chilton's, and I believe in the FSM as well, it's listed as the Thermo Switch for the EGR and such. But, at the same time, it could be the radiator fan switch as it's located in the radiator itself. That's the problem with the 90. Dammit. I'll be swapping that out anyway.
Problem is, the CXRacing radiator doesn't have actual port for the switch at the bottom part of the radiator, it does though have the drain plug located there, just hoping that the switch will fit in the hole no problem at all. Otherwise, there'll be a lot of tap and dieing to be done.

CaffeineTripp

Back to top Go down

Post  CaffeineTripp Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:30 am

No more cruddy OE radiator. Put in the new CXRacing radiator and slimline fans today.
Looks a hell of a lot better than it did with the bowed-out, rusted, corroded, cracking, fin-missing POS that was in there.

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD CXRacingRadiator1

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD CXRacingRadiator2

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD CXRacingRadiator3

Oh, and just as a side note, that cute girl at work that likes my car, girlfriend now. Yep. Bang on. Thank you, DSM. Thank you.

CaffeineTripp

Back to top Go down

Post  marco Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:01 pm

That radiator looks nice! Wonder if they make one for a Mark, will have to check. Oh and I'll still take your 40's it hit 103 according to the car! As for the girl don't sell the DSM she will go with it, that actually happened to a guy here he sold his honda his girl left him and went to the new owner!
marco
marco

Back to top Go down

Post  CaffeineTripp Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:17 am

Never mind, I'll keep the 40 degrees. lol Rather have that than the heat, especially with no air conditioning anywhere and working in a kitchen. I checked to see if they made one for a Mark, but nothing. Looks like they mostly deal with import cars rather than domestic, though, there's a lot of Chev SBs and BBs on there.

CaffeineTripp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next